Lazing in bed on Sunday mornings reading the paper is my God-given right. I wait for the Taste section of the Sunday San Antonio Express News every weekend. I may go two or three weeks without seeing a recipe or a restaurant that peaks my interest. This Sunday was a bonanza – no more famine. Earlier in week, I covered Frito Pie.
- Cook It Light by Jeanne Jones had a reader’s original version of Beef Stroganoff and Jeanne’s scaled down lite version. My cooking tip: In Stroganoff dishes, I like a splash of Sherry. An ancient wine made in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain for centuries eventually ended up with the slang name of Sherry. It was called Sherry by English sailors taking it back to England from Jerez.
- Here is her article. No one will notice it is lighter!
- Here is original version: Beef Stroganoff
- Reduced Fat Beef Stroganoff
Jessica Elizarraras interviewed a San Antonio mom who shares secrets for low-budget meals from her newest cookbook. The $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook by Erin Chase
- Ginger Beef and Broccoli Bake is very cost efficient and easy.
- Thai chicken with Noodlesby buying on sale the cost is under $4.00 and serves four.
- Skillet Taco Pie with ingredients on sale, this one is under $5.00 to make.
That’s my take on Taste for September 16th, hope the next flurry of excitement is sooner.